Well, I survived. I spent all day teaching yoga to Year 12 students at a local senior school as part of a PD Day (which I think stood for Personal Development). Despite my apprehension, it went well. Nobody walked out (although one student decided she'd rather watch: fair enough) and three out of the five supervising staff members joined in, which was pleasing.
Lessons I learnt from the experience included:
- Have a plan in mind, but be prepared to change it, depending on the group
- Despite being so young, teenagers aren't necessarily flexible or strong, so be kind
- Check you have taken the price tag off your new t-shirt before you begin
- Drink lots of water and suck throat lozenges
- Anyone who chooses to teach full time in a senior school deserves a medal