Life, yoga and other adventures

Click here for my general blog, Life, yoga and other adventures

Saturday 3 October 2015

Reasons to be cheerful

Fashions come and go in the world of wellbeing as quickly as anywhere else. Nevertheless, I was surprised to read in the Sunday paper recently that mindfulness is on the way out. Well, that's news to me, but then: what do I know? Apparently, the new kid on the block for those who like to follow the latest trends (laser lift for your lady bits, anyone? Check it out here!) is gratitude. I can't see why these two should be mutually exclusive, but again: what do I know?

This prompted me to recall a writing job I did years ago, where I was commissioned to come up with 100 reasons to be each of generous, confident, positive and thankful. It was a lovely job and I was glad to look back at it. Here are a few of the reasons to be thankful that were included:
  • You are who you are There is no one else like you, you are unique. Celebrate this and live life to the full.
  • The past is behind you If you have done wrong, apologise and be grateful for forgiveness.
  • Every day you move closer to your goal It might be something small: putting up a bookshelf, tidying the storeroom, catching up on the filing. Congratulate yourself on all these little victories.
  • The constantly changing seasons As well as revealing the power of nature, this gives us the opportunity for regular renewal in all aspects of our lives.
  • The comfort of realism As you grow older, you come to realise that you are not going to 'have it all'. Focus on the realistic and the possible.

2 comments: